Thursday, July 1, 2010

Kellen's 18 month check up

Although he's pushing 19 months now, I didn't want to forget to post Kellen's stats from his last well check-up. He weighed 25lbs 1.5oz (45th percentile) and was 33in (70th percentile). He is perfect in every way, if I do say so myself! He was pretty shy with Dr. Covington this visit, and sat on my lap for his assessment. He's going through a major "mommy phase" right now which I have to remind myself occasionally to cherish even when I'm tired of holding him. I'm going to miss this when he's all grown up and doesn't want me to hold him anymore. Although all was well at his appointment, there was mayhem to come in the week following for my poor little guy. The night of his appointment Cole accidentally ran over K's finger with a push toy and basically ripped the fingernail of his right ring finger halfway off. The cuticle was pushed back so far that the base of his nail was exposed and bent forward...yea nice, right? So back to the pediatrician we went the following day to make sure he didn't need the remaining nail removed in order for it to grow back normally. Nothing like paying a co-pay two days in a row! We got the ok to leave it alone and try and keep it clean (have they met my child? Keep a bandage on it?? Keep it clean?? Seriously people, that's asking a lot!) So now, three weeks after this lovely injury he is basically nail-less, save a little sliver on one side. It's pretty narly looking! Amazingly, though, he only cried for a minute and has not let it slow him down a bit! A couple days after his nail getting ripped off is when our dog, Bella, bit him on the ear. Kellen fell and landed on her, and her reaction was to bite him...HARD! Of course, the timing was impecable because I was literally walking out the door to go to work. I decided that he didn't need stitches and ran out the door (after giving strict instructions to Justin on cleaning the wound, of course). I was a wreck all night, mostly because I kept thinking about how much worse it could've been, or if she would've bit his face. Also I knew that I wouldn't forgive myself if she ever did it again so I had to start looking for someone to take her. After a few days of pure guilt and misery, the best possible person in the world to adopt Bella called and said she would love to have her...KRISTEN YAYYYYY! Both Bella and Kristen are loving their new arrangement, and we are so relieved to know that Bella is loved and safe and we can visit her any time we want! Ahhhh relief! So... nail ripped off, dog bite to the ear... next was the following night when I was working and Justin had the boys down by the creek throwing rocks into the water. Justin had just gotten the words out of his mouth for Cole to throw the rocks the other way so he didn't hit Kellen but he was a second too late. The knot on the back of K's poor head was proof that Cole has a pretty good arm for an almost-3-yr-old (not going there. total denial.). Kellen's luckiest week ever was rounded out by a nicely skinned knee. I swore if one more thing happened to him I was going to make him wear a helmet for his next 18 months!

Kellen, you have me wrapped around your little finger, and unfortunately you know it! You are stubborn, but compassionate. Tough, but sensitive. Impatient, but understanding. Defiant, yet charming. You have the temper tantrum down to a science. Scream until Mommy picks me up (check) squeal and cling when she tries to put me down (check) pull my legs up so she can't stand me up (check), throw myself back when she tries to then sit me on the floor (check), roll over onto belly and bang head on ground (check), proceed to kick the ground and scream some more (check), turn around and make sure Mommy is watching (check). Gotta love him, he's my addiction. This is his fit when he wants me to hold him. When he doesn't want to do what I've asked him to do and I go to pick him up, he does the body arch with the arms thrown up so you can't hold him on your hip, then he spins around so he's facing away and squirms out of my arms so that he's back down on the ground. He's quite the handful these days when he wants to be! Justin and I remember Cole's toughest age to be about 20-24 months, but looking back I can't believe we thought he was defiant. We now know what defiant is! BUT he looooovvvvveeeessss his Mommy and gives me the best hugs and kisses that absolutely erase any wrong doing. I'm such a sucker!

He still amazes us with his fearlessness. He loves to run, climb, jump into the pool, and play with anything that goes. He speaks in phrases, and sometimes complete sentences. He has to do and say everything that his brother does. Some of his favorites are "What's that sound?", "Where'd _____ go?", "Good job, buddy!" (Cole is potty training), "I don't know" (with the shoulder shrug, love it!). He loves to sing songs, and has memorized a few favorites. It's so darn cute to listen to him sing because he misses the filler words but chimes right in with the last few words in the phrase or the chorus. My favorite to hear him sing is "Zippety Do Da." He isn't into TV or movies much, but still loves books. The red is pretty much gone from his hair and he just gets more and more blonde every day. He absolutely loves his big brother and 90% of the time they play GREAT together.

I love you sweet boy. You make me so proud.

No comments: