Monday, January 5, 2009

Two healthy boys

Both my baby boys had well check-ups today. Cole weighed 24lbs and was 31.5 inches tall. He still plots right on the 50th percentile for height, weight, and head circumference. Kellen weighed 8lbs 4oz and was 21 inches tall. He will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday, and plotted 25th percentile for weight and head circumference and 50th percentile for height. It has been so fun to compare the boys. Kellen seems so much longer, although he only measured half an inch taller than Cole at this age. His hands and feet are much bigger, and fingers and toes longer than Cole's were. He is going to be our quarterback, and Cole our linebacker (says Daddy.) They were only 2 oz different at birth and weighed the exact same when we left the hospital. Both were very jandice and had to have follow up visits for it. Cole was 8lbs 2oz at 2 weeks and Kellen was 2 oz more at almost 3 weeks.

We asked the doctor about how many words a 15month old should be saying. Par for the course, I'm not worried, but it bothers Justin that Cole isnt very verbal. The doctor said 5-10 words is normal. I'd say Cole says 5 or 6 that we can understand, but they certainly arent clear. The doctor said that is normal, and that he should really start talking more by 18 months. He understands sooooo much more than he says. It amazes me every day how much he understands. Although Kellen is a little congested sounding at night, both boys have miraculously avoided getting my cold. Knock on wood! I think I'm FINALLY over it myself.

Cole was so funny on the way home from our appt this morning. I swear he is the funniest thing ever! He was starting to fall asleep, but we were only like 5 min from home so Justin turned around and joked with him about not falling asleep yet. I turned around to look at him too and his eyes slowly faded and shut. Justin made a comment about "...and he's out" or something like that and as soon as Cole heard that a little smirk appeared on his face. I said "is he awake and faking it?" Then he peeked open one eye and busted out laughing! I guess you had to be there, but it was like he knew we were saying he should wait to go to sleep so he faked falling asleep and then peeked to see if we were watching. Of course, Justin and I cracked up too, and then it was a game. But the funniest part was he would really exaggerate the falling asleep part. He didnt just close his eyes, he would get still and let his eye lids slowly fall like he was really sleeping. Then you could see him trying not to smile, then an eye would peek open and he would crack up.

The best was to describe my life right now is that Cole and Kellen simply make it better. They make me proud, make me smile, and still amaze me that I am at least halfway responsible for their existence. My plan for tonight is to find some pictures of Cole at Kellen's age and post them side by side so stay tuned!

No comments: