So once again I'm a little behind on my blog posts, but I'm trying to get the posts I've been working on all posted today. They post with the date I started them, so at least it looks like I didn't do them all at once! November was a jam packed month full of family events, playdates, and birthday parties. I am so humbled by this time of year with Thanksgiving and Christmas because it reminds me how lucky we are. We have amazing people in our lives who make us better people. Speaking of amazing people...Kristen (my cousin) organized yet another event for us to show our support for suicide prevention and mental illness, in honor of her mother (my aunt) Rita. In early November, about 50+ of my aunt Rita's closest family and friends (ha! we were definately the largest group there!) participated in a 5K walk through down town Raleigh. Our family from New Orleans even flew up for the event! Before the walk, we all met at a park for lunch and to share stories of Rita. Kristen even set up a video station for all of us to sit and talk about our fondest memories of Rita so that she and her brother, Kevin, would have all the memories archived forever. I HATE talking on video because it reminds me of public speaking which terrifies me, but it actually went really well. I just pretended I was talking to Kristen and Kevin and it was easy to talk about how much Rita impacted my life. I talked about how when I was in college, living in Wilmington, the Stefureac family would invite my roommates and I over to their house or to a restaurant for dinner. It was so nice to have home cooked meals, and family to remind us all of home. One particular time, at the end of my freshman year, Rita and I got in to a discussion about what I wanted to major in. I had NO IDEA what I wanted to be when I grew up, and it was time to start registering for classes. Rita told me that she thought I would make a wonderful pediatric nurse, and how I was always so nurturing as a child. I had honestly never thought of nursing as a career, but after talking to Rita at length about it I decided to give it a shot and I haven't looked back since. Being a nurse in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is without a doubt my passion. It's the only thing in the world that I could do for a living and be happy. I tell families at work all the time that it's the only job I can imagine leaving my family for. Without my Aunt Rita's nudge towards nursing school, who knows what I would be doing, but I'm sure I wouldn't be home as much as I am now with my kids. I owe that all to her. Kristen designed shirts for us all to wear for the walk. The front said "Remembering Rita" and on the back is a quote that reminds Kristen and Kevin of their mom. "Live so that when you are gone, it will have mattered."
Cole and Nina at the park before the walk. It was so cold that we had to wear our t-shirts over our coats!

Kellen flirting with one of Kristen's friends from college. Is anyone surprised?

Pops and K hanging out after the walk.

Cole and my cousin, Anna, doing a puzzle.

Uncle Mike playing with the boys. Priceless :)

We also had a visit from my grandma's brother Joe and his wife and 2 of their sons. They came all the way from Pennsylvania so they joined us for our Saturday morning ritual with Gram. We went to Spinner's Grill for breakfast, bought a few books at Mr. Mike's Used Bookstore, and then headed back to Gram's apartment to feed the fish and play in the garden.
There are probably 30 or so huge goldfish in the pond at Gram's that we have started to name. We see them every week, so we thought it was appropriate to name them. Some of their names are: Frankie, Lightning, Ramone, Johnny, Annie, Volcano, Pepper, and Sally. :)


Cousin Alan hanging out with the boys.

Great Great Uncle Joe reading the boys one of their new truck books we got at the bookstore.

November also seemed to be the month of playdates. Since it's too cold to go to the park and play outside much, we've planned lots of playdates with my friends and their kids. Susan braved bringing all 5 of her sweet kids to our house for a fun morning! Here's Sadie, Raegan, and Miss Caroline.

The "big kids" were so sweet and played so well together. We let them have their lunch in the living room so they could watch Wonder Pets on TV. Lily and Landon are such good kids and we love our playdates with them.

Aunt Jen's birthday was reason for another family celebration in November. We met at PF Changs for dinner and thankfully they sat us off in a corner because Cole and Kellen are quite rambunctious these days!

Kellen and Brady just chillin on Thanksgiving Day.

Uncle Chris and Kellen Christopher. Our crazy little man couldn't have a more fitting middle name!

Silly Cole and his buddy Cassie

Quality time reading books with Nina. We love you Mom!

Oooooh that boy just melts me!

We had 3 of my friends from work and their kids over for another playdate. Courtney with Emerson and Gavin, Jae with Lukas, Payden, and new baby Finley and Chantal with her two youngest kids Sam and Mary Francis. That's a grand total of 4 adults and 9 kids! It was a blast! I didn't manage to get everyone in a picture, but here's a couple from the morning.
1 comment:
Chex mix is a choking hazard...I believe. Especially while sleeping! Too cute!
Post a Comment