Sunday, December 26, 2010

Kellen Christopher- 2 years

Dear Kellen,

Some days I can't believe you are already 2, and some days it feels like the day you were born was forever ago.








I hope you know how much we love you. You have made my heart swell so many times I wonder sometimes how it doesn't burst. You give the absolute best hugs and kisses in the world and know just when to offer them. You are quite the Mama's boy, if I do say so myself. And I do, because you want nothing less than to be with me every minute. The feeling is mutual :) You have quite the complicated personality. You can be the snuggliest, happiest, most polite, and charming little man one minutes and then the most fearless, independent, stubborn, wild, and defiant one the next. I still call you my little monster, and lately you've been "beast"... but in total love I call you this!! :) Today in Target you sang "Jingle Bells" at the top of your lungs, and against all possibility sang it even louder if I asked you to be quiet. That's my Kellen. You turn and run the other way when I ask you to come here. That's my Kellen. You have the most devilish little laugh when you are getting your way. That's DEFINATELY my Kellen. Boy you are trouble! Although you have learned how to push buttons I didn't even know I had, you manage to have me wrapped around your little finger, as Daddy says, and I'm so addicted to you. You have taught me the true meaning of "choose your battles," that's for sure!

The red is gone from your hair and you are my blue-eyed-blonde little lady killer. And yes, your dimples still allow you to get away with entirely too many things. You are persistent and stubborn. You recently started climbing out of your crib, so we took the front off to make it a toddler bed. We figured you would give us a little run for our money with staying in your bed, but we had no idea what we were (are!) in for. It's been about a month now, and you still are not content to stay in your bed and go to sleep when it's time for nap or bed. Not content is the understatement of the year, by the way. You repeatedly walk out and have a hundred excuses as to why you won't stay in your bed. Although some of the things you come up with are precious, it's been really exhausting and emotionally draining to struggle with you on a daily basis. You are a master manipulator, so you know exactly how to get what you want. Although you are a pro at temper tantrums (serioulsy you could teach a class), you choose the 'kill 'em with kindness' approach with this one. "But I want to sleep with you in your bed. I want you to snuggie me. I just want to hug you. I just missed you. It's spooky in here. I'm hungry. I want something to eat....." The list goes on and on. Some of the more comical excuses have been, "I can't go to bed because I have to go to work. Mommy I'm crying and I'm really really sad. I have something to do." Without exaggeration there have been many nights that I walked you back to your bed 20+ times before you finally fell asleep from pure exhaustion. It's been hard on me because I absolutely hate to see you upset, and you want nothing more than to snuggle and be held to go to sleep. Although I've been very proud of my rebound stubborness with not letting you get away with going to sleep in our bed or laying with you until you fall asleep and sneak out, I must admit that almost every night you come in to our room and climb in bed next to me. I throw an arm around you and let you stay. What's the harm in that, right? One day you aren't going to want to snuggle with me, so I'd better savor every minute of it, even if you are the wildest sleeper! You prefer to lay directly on top of me with your cheek pressed right against mine. You snore like a bear, too!!

Your favorite food is pancakes. If you could eat them three meals a day, I have no doubt that you would. You love anything that 'goes,' and if it makes noise while it goes, that is a major plus! You have an amazing vocabulary for your age, which totally contributes to your manipulating I might add! You can carry on conversations and have to know "why?" everything is the way it is. My parents have always teased me that I talked so much as a kid that they used to tell me to 'talk in my brain' and let me tell you that has come around full circle! You weigh 27lbs, which is 40th percentile and you are 34.75 inches tall, which is 50th percentile.

I love you to the moon and back, sweet boy, and you add just the right amount of spice to our world! I see a little lawyer in the making :) Here are a few pictures of your Big Birthday Number 2 Day!



You have the best big brother EVER... just sayin'


Your birthday 'pan-cake' :)


"CHEESE!!"


Those perfect kisses I told you about!


We had our buddy Carter over for a couple hours, so we decided to paint and make some Christmas ornaments while he was with us.




Excited about going to Lights on the Neuse. We may or may not have told you the whole light show was just for you for your birthday :)

All bundled up for the hayride


Our buddy Haley and her Mommy and Daddy, Whitney and Ben, came with us. Perfect day!


I love my Haley time! Maybe I'll get my own little girl someday :)


The Carey Fam ;0)

Snug as bugs

You were hysterical with your 3D glasses on


One last picture with Haley before we headed home.


No comments: